Com.press is a new online, independent, non-partisan magazine, focusing on current affairs, culture and society. It was cofounded in 2012 by Aviad Kleinberg, a prominent public intellectual, columnist at the daily "Yedioth Aharonot", Director of Tel Aviv University Press and a Professor of History at Tel Aviv University, and by Nava Ney, media specialist and content manager.
Com.press seeks to be the place where leading and soon-to-be-leading Israeli intellectuals speak their minds. In a country that is ever in a state of crisis, and where debates often produce heat, but no light, cool voices of reason can be enlightening. We welcome all views, as long as they are expressed with sobriety and with respect for other positions. We welcome all writers who, like us, believe in democracy and in a genuine exchange of original ideas on social, political and cultural matters. We do not belong to any one camp, but to those who can think outside the box of cliches that surround us.
Good writing, careful editing, international perspectives–this is what we believe in. And so do our readers.
OUR SECTIONS SO FAR (open for change):
* Hot Compress – Affairs of the hour.
* Inside – A look at Israeli dilemmas and concerns.
* Outside – Outside perspectives on Israel, interviews with guest lecturers and visitors to Israel, and generally interesting stuff from around the world.
* Images – Photo-essays, art, advertising and design critique, and (soon) video.
* Words – essays on literature, poetry and research.
* Next Gen – featuring interesting dissertations and artworks in the making
Com.press is in collaboration with Tel Aviv University Film School and soon – other film and visual arts schools, for photo-essays and video clips.
Another collaboration we enjoy is with the French online magazine – Causeur.fr.
Among our well known contributors: Etgar Keret – a best selling author, whose books have been translated to many languages. Nir Baram – an acclaimed author and editor, Carlo Strenger – a columnist, psychoanalist and philosopher, Nissim Calderon - Professor of Literature, Ben Gurion University, Eyal Zisser – Dean of Humanities, Tel Aviv University, Haim Hazan – Professor of Sociology, Tel Aviv University, Moshe Sakal – author and translator, Dror Burstein – an award winning and best selling author, Nili Cohen – Professor of Law, previously Rector of Tel Aviv University, Amir Gutfreund – an award winning and best selling author.
Our focus is CONTENT, but we didn’t neglect FORM – here are a number of features that are available to Com.press readers:
* Quick read – if you are not sure you want to read the article.
* Save for later – if you can’t read the article now.
* Print to PDF – if you want to read any article when offline – be it on your ipad, iphone, android, computer or in print.
* Where was I – if you got lost in non-linear, associative exploration – you can always go back to the “Where was I” box and see which articles you visited recently.
* Our writers are committed to answering comments at the bottom of their article. They have a special place assigned just for that, positioned to the left of the common column, so that the discussion is easy to follow.
* “Best comment” chosen by an author, can be featured at the top part of an article’s page, along side the text.
* Photo-essay format in our IMAGES section is ready to tell a story in pictures.
* Fun stuff, like the regular “Today We Ignore: _______ ” box on the top of the homepage, the “Surprise me with a random article” button and more…
Com.press in the real world:
* Every 4 months a printed version of Com.press will be published, with “The Best Of”, an additional depth interview and select talkbacks.
* Com.press events will be a festival of ideas, lectures and music.
As soon as budget allows, we would like to translate the site into English, so that international readers can also enjoy new Israeli voices.
ENJOY THE READ, SPREAD THE NEWS, PUBLISH WITH US AND PLEASE HELP US IN ANY WAY YOU CAN.
CONTACT US at: firstname.lastname@example.org